Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Hiking & a new recipe

With the extended weekend we just had, my husband decided to plan a last minute hiking adventure. We left Saturday morning and went to Red River Gorge and came back Monday afternoon. It was a nice little getaway and didn't take too long to get to :) Pictures soon! I decided to take a few vacation days this week to spend some time with the hubby. After the hiking trip, we gave our cars a MUCH needed wash. I've been wanting to wash mine for quite a while now but with all the rain we've had, it was pointless. Yesterday we spent some QT with a bunch of friends at a MLB game then watched a movie. We watched 127 Hours. Ewww, I had to turn my head towards the end of the movie. Blood makes my tummy turn. Overall it was a good movie though. The rest of the week will consist of hanging out at the pool and having lunch with the in-laws. I need to make some time for running this week. It went from raining all day to being sunny and scorching hot in a matter of days. To get anything under 80 degrees I'd have to get up at 5 or 6 and I don't know if I want to do that on my days off ;)

The latest edition of Clean Eating Magazine is GREAT!!! There are so many recipes I want to try! I made one last week and have another planned for this week. There is also this amazing-looking cherry pie recipe that will be made very soon! I have to substitute the cherry's for a different fruit though; the hubby isn't a big fan of cherry's.

New Potato and Turkey Skillet
From Clean Eating Magazine

Ingredients:
Olive Oil Cooking Spray
1 lb ground turkey breast
Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1 lb new potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
Pinch dried thyme
3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth (I used about a cup to make it more moist)
1 lb Swiss chard, thick stems removed, leaves chopped
1 pint grape tomatoes
1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
Pinch red chile flakes, or to taste
Juice 1/2 lemon, plus 4 wedges for serving
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (I used regular shredded cheese bc I don't like feta cheese)

Directions:
One: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Two: Coat a large (at least 12-inch) over-proof skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium. Add turkey, season with salt and pepper and cook, breaking up meat with a spoon until no pink is visible, 5-6 minutes. Transfer turkey to a large bowl returning skillet to heat.
Three: Add potatoes and thyme to hot skillet and season with salt and pepper. Transfer skillet to over and cook until lightly browned and tender, about 20 minutes, stirring once. Carefully return skillet to stovetop on medium-high heat (leave oven at the same temperature). Add broth and bring to a simmer. Add chard and stir just until wilted. Stir in tomatoes, rosemary, chile flakes, lemon juice and reserved turkey. Ensure broth is simmering and transfer skillet back to oven. Cook until tomato skins burst, about 10 minutes, stirring halfway through. Divide mixture among 4 bowls and top evenly with cheese. Serve with lemon wedges.   

I will post pictures of my extended weekend / week off shortly.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had a great hiking trip!! :0) That recipe sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!