Wednesday, August 24, 2011

New Goal

Right now I am training for another half marathon. Can I just say how much I LOVE it?!?! Last year when I was training, I had a ‘training schedule’ but I didn’t do any tempo or easy runs, I just did the miles it required. I have this thing with always wanting to increase my time so I couldn’t stand to look at my Garmin and see anything less than a 10:30 pace (don’t laugh, that’s good for me!).

This time around I decided that MAYBE the people at Runners World know what they’re talking about and maybe I should give these whole ‘tempo’ and ‘easy’ runs a try… THEY’RE GRRREEEAAATTT (picture Tony the Tiger here). This past weekend I ran 5 miles and only stopped 3 short times. Twice for water and then once because the girl I was running with needed a quick breather. I could have run the whole thing though. That has NEVER happened before! THEN - 2 days later, she and I ran 3 miles without stopping! It’s been years since I’ve been able to do that! So yeah, apparently RW is pretty informed ;)

Okay, so on to my new goal… This past weekend I was at the park with my nieces and nephews. This may sound silly to you, but I have never been able to do the monkey bars. I just don’t have the upper body strength. I decided to give those monkey bars another try. While I was able to get further than normal, they still kicked my butt and I had to drop off half way through. By the end of this year – I will successfully be able to get across the monkey bars!!! I have incorporated 2 intense days of strength training each week; 1 of those specific to my upper body. I WILL be able to accomplish this!

What are your goals?

1 comment:

I'd love to hear from you!